Thursday, July 4, 2013

Legend Book Review

Hi Guys,
Today, as promised, I'm going to be reviewing Legend by Marie Lu. This is a dystopian novel, that is unlike any other I've ever read. It's fast-paced. action-packed, and beautifully written., It also has such amazing characters, all of these things make it a MUST-READ! Here is the synopsis of the book from Goodreads:


What was once the western United States is now home to the Republic, a nation perpetually at war with its neighbors. Born into an elite family in one of the Republic’s wealthiest districts, fifteen-year-old June is a prodigy being groomed for success in the Republic’s highest military circles. Born into the slums, fifteen-year-old Day is the country’s most wanted criminal. But his motives may not be as malicious as they seem.
From very different worlds, June and Day have no reason to cross paths—until the day June’s brother, Metias, is murdered and Day becomes the prime suspect. Caught in the ultimate game of cat and mouse, Day is in a race for his family’s survival, while June seeks to avenge Metias’s death. But in a shocking turn of events, the two uncover the truth of what has really brought them together, and the sinister lengths their country will go to keep its secrets.


My first impression of this book was decent, I wasn't expecting too much. The cover is not amazing, but it's not bad either, so that didn't really play a major part in my feelings towards the book. I really ended up loving this book though. It was amazing, I couldn't put it down. It was a very short novel, but it was full of action-packed amazing-ness. There wasn't a dull moment in this book, and I just loved everything about it. I feel like I'm gushing a little to much so let's put some organization in this review. Here are my thoughts on certain aspects of the book.

Characters
  • Day is the first character the reader is introduced to, and his first chapter definitely sets the mood for the story. Day is just a guy who wants to help his family, and his people. He's very intelligent, and lethal. He is great at strategizing, and getting whatever he's faced with done. He's a very caring character, and it shows throughout the entire book.
  • June is the second character we are introduced to in the novel. She is exactly like Day, she's very intelligent and lethal. She cares about doing what's right, and she's very caring. The only difference between these two characters is that June is an upper-class citizen whereas Day is a lower-class citizen. 
  • Metias is another amazing character, even though he wasn't in the the entire book, he played a major role in it. I really loved him as a character, he was great at taking care of his sister. I loved a lot of the flashback scenes June had where it was just the two of them conversing. I really liked a lot of the quotes from Metias as well.
  • Day's brothers are other great characters, they weren't in it a ton, but I really liked when they were... and that ending...
  • Tess was another character that I really enjoyed. I don't know what it was about her, but I really felt connected to her character. I really wanted to read more about her. I hope I get the chance to in the upcoming books.
  • Thomas... what an amazing horrible character. I mean, he's not a plotting, leader type of character, but he is definitely a character I love to hate. He reminds me of Junior Rennie from Stephen King's Under the Dome, which if you haven't seen the show watch it now! (I would recommend you the book, but I've yet to have read it... I know, I know... I'm working on it.) 
  • Kaede doesn't play a HUGE part in the story, but she does help quite a bit. At first I loved to hate her, and now I don't really know what to think of her. I want to like her, but I don't know if she can be trusted yet. I also don't like Tess joining Kaede's side.
  • Commander Jameson is another character I love to hate. She didn't really play a huge part in this novel either. She was the type of character that was talked about more than she was there.

Setting
The setting was a very well put together dystopian society. It doesn't seem that the world is way more advanced than ours already is, but I could be wrong. A lot of the questions I had weren't really answered, but I'm confident that they will be in the next two books. 

Plot
The plot is fast-paced, and well thought out. I really liked everything about the plot... I mean, there are specific things that I can think of right off the top of my head, but I know I really liked it, and I hope the other books are as fast-paced and awesome as this one.

Quotes
  • “If you want to rebel, rebel from inside the system.That's much more powerful than rebelling outside the system.” 
  • “The memory fades, and I’m left hanging on to the ghosts of his
    words.” 
  • “Forever and ever, kid, until you're sick and tired of seeing me.” 
  • “I don't know if anyone's ever told you this", he begins. He doesn't blush, and his eyes don't dart away. Instead I find myself staring into a pair of oceans - one perfect, the other blemished by that tiny ripple. "You're very attractive."
    I've been complimented on my appearance before. But never in his tone of voice. Of all the things he's said, I don't know why this catches me off guard. But it startles me so much that without thinking I blurt out, "I could say the same about you." I pause. "In case you didn't know."
    A slow grin spreads across his face. "Oh, trust me. I know.”"
  • “Each day means a new twenty-four hours. Each day means everything's possible again. You live in the moment, you die in the moment, you take it all one day at a time."
With some of the quotes above I believe you have to read them in context, so some of them that you might've been like "What makes that so special?"  If and when you read it in context, you will know why I liked it.

Overall I really enjoyed this novel, and I can't help but gush about it. I give this book 5/5 stars, and I recommend it to any and everyone. I'll see you guys tomorrow with a #FridayReads post.

No comments:

Post a Comment