Wednesday, July 10, 2013

False Memory Book Review

Hi Guys,
Today I'm going to be reviewing False Memory by Dan Krokos. This was the last book I finished in June, and I'm not quite sure how I feel about it. There were certain things that I loved, and there were other things that I didn't like at all. Here's the synopsis from Goodreads:


Miranda wakes up alone on a park bench with no memory. In her panic, she releases a mysterious energy that incites pure terror in everyone around her. Except Peter, a boy who isn’t at all surprised by Miranda’s shocking ability.
Left with no choice but to trust this stranger, Miranda discovers she was trained to be a weapon and is part of an elite force of genetically-altered teens who possess flawless combat skills and powers strong enough to destroy a city. But adjusting to her old life isn’t easy—especially with Noah, the boyfriend she can’t remember loving.
Then Miranda uncovers a dark truth that sets her team on the run. Suddenly her past doesn’t seem to matter... when there may not be a future.


My first impression of this book was that it was going to be amazing. I found this book after reading Divergent, which the original cover of this book kind of reminded me of the cover of Divergent. I then read the synopsis and pre-ordered the book immediately. It sounds like something I've never read, and I NEEDED it. Now fast-forward to the end of July, 2013, when I finished the book, the only feelings that I had when finishing the book was disappointment and relief. Disappointment because it wasn't the book I thought it would be, relief because I finished it (trust me, in the middle... it became a chore). It was definitely full of action, sci-fi, and suspense, it is everything I like to read... except that each one of these was on steroids. I couldn't concentrate on the writing because of the all the action, it kind of reminded me of the Hunger Games movie, when Katniss was stung by the Tracker-Jacker and it showed her running through the woods from her perspective. I didn't like it in the Hunger Games movie, and I really didn't like it in this novel. Let's discuss what I did and didn't like:

Characters
  • Miranda North- I didn't like her at all. I don't know what it was, but I couldn't connect to her, and I couldn't really believe her character. Maybe it's because of her situation at the beginning of the book that caused this, but whatever it was... I wasn't feeling it.
  • Noah- I really didn't like Noah while I started the books, and then he started to grow on me. I hated how he kept making Miranda feel something for him... it got a little creepy, but he did redeem himself.
  • Peter- I really, really like Peter. There's nothing I don't like about Peter, he's awesome... he's the leader, and everyone knows it. He's the "Red-Ranger", and I like it.
  • Olive- I really like Olive, I hate what happened to her... which, now that I'm thinking about it, was a lot. She had something go wrong every other chapter. I felt sorry for her and the whole Noah situation, but I guess it's not important now.
  • Clones- The clones are really good minions, I loved the added aspect.
  • Miss North- I didn't like her, which was good because I wasn't supposed to. She was a good "bad-guy".
  • Rhys- I liked him as a character, he knows what he's talking about, and I really liked seeing his past, it really made the reader connect.

Plot
The plot started off really well, it seemed simple, yet very thrilling. Then the author decided to add so many other things, like clones... and more clones... and more clones, and weird "parents", and all kinds of other things that I had to read over and over to understand what was going on. It was like Information Overload. I also didn't like their powers, I thought they would all have their own power like X-men, which would be really amazing, but they all had the same, lame, power. 

These were the only MAJOR parts of the story, and a little look into what I thought. I give this book 3/5 stars, it's an okay read. I don't recommend it if you want to like the main character, or if you like the world that the author's created to make sense when you read it. But if you're a fan of sci-fi and tons and TONS of action, then check this book out. I do plan on reading the second book, just not any time soon. I read the first two chapters of it, and I can already tell it's going to be better than the first. I like them being in the high-school scene. I still don't like Miranda, but I'll see how it goes. Check out the blog tomorrow, where I'll be posting my July Book Haul. 

No comments:

Post a Comment