Saturday, April 28, 2012

Under the Never Sky Book Review

Hi Guys,
Today I'm going to review Under the Never Sky by Veronica Rossi, this is the first book in the series. Veronica Rossi is a 2012 debut author, so if you are entered in a debut author challenge, this can be one for you to read. This is the first and only "debut author" book I've read this year, so... I'm going to have to cram the other 11 in pretty soon. I'm glad I finally finished this book, because it was amazing! Here is the synopsis from the front flap:

Since she'd been on the outside, she'd survived an Aether storm, she'd had a knife held to her throat, and she'd seen men murdered. This was worse.
Exiled from her home, the enclosed city of Reverie, Aria knows her chances of surviving in the outer wasteland - known as The Death Shop - are slim. If the cannibals don't get her, the violent, electrified energy storms will. She's been taught that the very air she breathes can kill her. Then Aria meets an Outsider named Perry. He's wild - a savage - and her only hope of staying alive.
A hunter for his tribe in a merciless landscape, Perry views Aria as sheltered and fragile - everything he would expect from a Dweller. But he needs Aria's help too; she alone holds the key to his redemption. Opposites in nearly every way, Aria and Perry must accept each other to survive. Their unlikely alliance forges a bond that will determine the fate of all who live under the never sky.


My first impression of this book was: "WOW! This is going to be the next big thing!", and that was just from the cover alone. Once I read the synopsis I thought that I was going to LOVE the book (Air that can KILL you?!? AWESOME!). My first impression was definitely right, I saw several blog posts, and videos, that were dedicated to the review of Under the Never Sky. I pre-ordered it, and yet I only finished this book two weeks ago. The reason for this is that I lost interest about half-way through, and I had other books that were given to me that I wanted to read more at the time. After finishing The Long Walk by Stephen King, I thought I might as well try and finish it. I'm glad I did! I loved the rest of the book! It was amazing! Not that the beginning wasn't, but the last couple chapters of the book were the best. I don't know why I sat the book down to begin with... I think it might've been that I was tired of the chemistry between Aria and Perry, just because they would feel attracted to each other one minute, and hate each other the next. I believe I stopped reading this book the first time after they learn something very important about Aria in the safe Haven that they went to to learn about the Smarteye. When I learned who Aria really was, I thought the chemistry between the characters would blow up, and I would hate it until the end. When I picked it up again, I learned that that wasn't the case, and I enjoyed the book for it. I give this book 4/5 stars, because I stopped in the middle, and because I didn't really like the ending. I'm almost certain it was Perry at the end... but there is always that small contemplation going on inside my head saying it might be someone else. I loved all the characters, I think my favorite character was Roar. I ended up hating people towards the end, who I liked at the beginning, and I love how authors can make you do that. Another small problem I had with the book, was the name of the leading male... Perry... I HATE IT! I like the name Peregrine, and I wish he would be called that more often, because Perry just seems to casual for me, and it almost ruined my idea of the book. Plus, every time I hear the name, Perry, I think of Tyler Perry... and I don't want to think about that when I'm reading about a futuristic world in which I want to live. But other than those miniscule dislikes, I LOVED the book, and I can't wait until the second book in the series, Through the Ever Night, to release. Check this book out when you get the chance! It's a nice book, with great character chemistry, and AMAZING plot-twists!

1 comment:

  1. Sounds great and I love the cover, I'll definitely be adding it to my TBR list. Check out my WOW @ http://best-of-ya.blogspot.com/2012/05/waiting-on-wednesday-5.html. And I'm also a new follower! :)

    ReplyDelete