Monday, April 9, 2012

Beautiful Creatures Book Review

Hi Guys,
This week I'm going to review Beautiful Creatures by Kami Garcia and Margaret Stohl. This is the first book in the Caster Chronicles. This book tells an amazing story with bewitching characters, and plot twists. Here is the synopsis from the back of the book:


There were no surprises in Gatlin County.
We were pretty much the epicenter of the middle of nowhere.
At least, that's what I thought.
Turns out, I couldn't have been more wrong.
There was a curse.
There was a girl.
And in the end, there was a grave.
Lena Duchannes is unlike anyone the small Southern town of Gatlin has ever seen, and she's struggling to conceal her power and a curse that has haunted her family for generations. But even within the overgrown gardens, murky swamps and crumbling graveyards of the forgotten South, a secret cannot stay hidden forever.
Ethan Wate, who has been counting the months until he can escape from Gatlin, is haunted by dreams of a beautiful girl he has never met. When Lena moves into the town's oldest and most infamous plantation, Ethan is inexplicably drawn to her and determined to uncover the connection between them.
In a town with no surprises, one secret could change everything.


My first impression of this book was that it was going to be amazing, just simply because, after reading the synopsis, it left me with so many questions. I hardly knew anything about what this book was about, and yet I bought and read it anyway. That's something that's never happened to me, and I loved it. I read half the book in anticipation of who Lena really was, I had my suspicions of who she was, one of which was very close, but not exactly who she was. I loved that when we learned who she is, it's something that has a very unique twist on it. It was very easy to connect with the characters in this book, even the minor characters held my attention when the story drifted to their scenes. I could really connect with Ethan, he reminded me of myself in some ways. I really enjoyed the fact that the male character was the "normal" one. I also liked how Ethan wasn't just a dumb jock, but he was somewhat intelligent. I also liked Lena and her family, one of my favorite characters was Macon, and I loved learning more about his character. I loved the "powers" in this book, I thought they were very unique. I give this book 4/5 stars. I don't believe there is a specific reason that this is a 4/5 star book, it just simply was not a 5 star book to me. I hope the books get better as they go, not that this book was bad, but I would love to see how amazing this series could be. 


Additional Announcement: This book is also becoming a movie that is set to release in 2013. Most of the actors/actresses are not that well known, and I love that. They will start filming for this movie in just a couple of days. I can't wait to see this book come to the big screen.

No comments:

Post a Comment