Monday, April 9, 2012

City of Bones Book Review

Hi Guys,
This week I'm going to review City of Bones, the first book in the Mortal Instruments series, by Cassandra Clare. I read this book in January of last year I believe... so I hope I remember this correctly, but I did jot down some key points I would focus on, I just hope that's enough for you guys. This is about a girl named Clary Fray, and the discovery she makes about her world, and even herself. Here is the synopsis from the back of the book:


When fifteen-year-old Clary Fray heads out to the Pandemonium Club in New York City, she hardly expects to witness a murder -- much less a murder committed by three teenagers covered with strange tattoos and brandishing bizarre weapons. Then the body disappears into thin air. It's hard to call the police when the murderers are invisible to everyone else and when there is nothing -- not even a smear of blood -- to show that a boy has died. Or was he a boy?
This is Clary's first meeting with the Shadowhunters, warriors dedicated to ridding the earth of demons. It's also her first encounter with Jace, a Shadowhunter who looks a little like an angel and acts a lot like a jerk. Within twenty-four hours Clary is pulled into Jace's world with a vengeance, when her mother disappears and Clary herself is attacked by a demon. But why would demons be interested in ordinary mundanes like Clary and her mother? And how did Clary suddenly get the Sight? The Shadowhunters would like to know. . . . 


My first impression of this book was good, I thought that it looked very interesting, I don't know what it is but books that have something special happen with tattoos, I tend to read them. A few examples are: Mortal Instruments, House of Night, and (I'm not 100% sure, but the cover has a guy with a facial tattoo) Reckless. Anyway, when I read the synopsis, I thought it sounded unlike anything I've ever read, so I bought the first three books right then. I started this book in 2010, and I got about 100 pages into it, but for some reason, I lost interest, and their it sat in my "debt-pile" for a couple months. When I finally decided to pick it back up, I was on the part with the motorcycle gang of Vampires, right before you meet Magnus. From that point on, I couldn't put this book down, I believe I finished it that night, and I was confused as to why I put it down in the first place. This book had TONS of action, there was hardly a moment without action. I give this book 4/5 stars, just for the simple fact that for some reason I was disinterested enough to put it in my debt pile. I definitely recommend this to anyone who wants to read a book that is different than anything else they've read. 


Additional Announcement: This book is becoming a movie that is set to release in 2013 with the actress Lily Collins as the role of the heroic Clary Fray. It has had a bumpy start, but I believe that it's finally coming together, and very excited for it. It's going to be an amazing movie.

No comments:

Post a Comment