Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Waiting on Wednesday (5)

Hi Guys,
I'm sorry I haven't posted many blog posts lately, but I'd been vacationing in Baltimore this past week. It was an almost perfect vacation, with visits to great sites in Baltimore, including one very large Barnes & Noble... oh, and a trip to the ER. Yes, I had to visit the ER because we went to a river, and I stepped on a rusted piece of metal. So I needed stitches in my foot, and unfortunately, the 12 numbing shots he gave me during the stitching, didn't do their job correctly. But I'm okay, and I'm back in my hometown, doing another Waiting on Wednesday. YAY! Waiting on Wednesday is hosted by Jill at Breaking the Spine. This Wednesday I'm waiting on:



Etiquette & Espionage
By: Gail Carriger
320 Pages
Little Brown and Company
February 5th, 2013
Finishing School #1
YA

 Goodreads' Synopsis:

It's one thing to learn to curtsy properly. It's quite another to learn to curtsy and throw a knife at the same time. Welcome to finishing school.
Fourteen-year-old Sophronia is the bane of her mother's existence. Sophronia is more interested in dismantling clocks and climbing trees than proper etiquette at tea--and god forbid anyone see her atrocious curtsy. Mrs. Temminnick is desperate for her daughter to become a proper lady. She enrolls Sophronia in Mademoiselle Geraldine's Finishing Academy for Young Ladies of Quality.
But little do Sophronia or her mother know that this is a school where ingenious young girls learn to finish, all right--but it's a different kind of finishing. Mademoiselle Geraldine's certainly trains young ladies in the finer arts of dance, dress, and etiquette, but also in the other kinds of finishing: the fine arts of death, diversion, deceit, espionage, and the modern weaponries. Sophronia and her friends are going to have a rousing first year at school.
First in a four book YA series set 25 years before the Parasol Protectorate but in the same universe.

After seeing the cover on Goodreads, I knew I wanted to read it. It looks a little too-girly for me, but I believe the steampuck-ish look, as well as the fifty's looking hair style, and of course the synopsis, did it in for me. I'm very excited to read this book, although I haven't read the other series by this author, which takes place in the same world. I'd always thought they sounded good, but they were adult books, so I didn't wanna pick it up, in fear of what I might get myself into. But now this is a YA series based in the same world, so I can finally check this author/world out, as well as staying in my YA comfort zone. If you are interested in her other series though, the name of the series is the Parasol Protectorate series. The first book in the series is Soulless. This book sounds a lot like Isle of Night to me, so I'm very excited to read it, because I LOVED Isle of Night, which, I'll try and post a review of Isle of Night sometime this week. I really loved it, and I can't wait to let you guys know what I thought of it. As you guys can tell, I can't wait to read this book... can you? Leave a comment about what you think of this book, or what novel you might want to see next week's WoW. Check out this blog next week to see the next novel I'm waiting for, and also comment on this post letting me know what you guys are waiting for this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment