Thursday, August 2, 2012

Isle of Night Book Review

Hi Guys,
I know that it's been FOREVER since I've written a review, I've wanted to, but I've been lazy... which it is Summer, so hopefully you can forgive me. I have about 6 books I need to review, and this book is the most recent I've read. The book I'll be reviewing today is Isle of Night (The Watchers #1) by Veronica Wolff. This is, obviously, the first book in a series of (as of right now) four books. I really loved this book, and I wanted to read the second one immediately after this, but I received an ARC copy of The Raven Boys by Maggie Stiefvater in the mail on the same day that I finished this. So I decided it could wait. I'm very excited to be doing this review, because I can finally let out my feelings about it, but first... here's the Goodreads synopsis:

Is life offering fewer and fewer options? Then join the dead.
When Annelise meets dark and seductive Ronan, he promises her a new life-if she has the courage to chance the unknown. Now, she's whisked away to a mysterious island and pitted against other female recruits to become a Watcher-girls who are partnered with vampires and assist them in their missions. To survive and become a Watcher, Annelise has to beat out every other girl, but she's determined to do so, because to fail doesn't mean dishonor-it means death.


My first impression of this book was great. I thought the cover was pretty cool, it looked eerie, and Gothic to me, and I really liked the two faces that were added into the sky as well as the castle at the bottom. I believe that the faces at the top belong to Annelise and Ronan, but I'm not 100% sure.  I thought this book sounded like Vampire Academy, mixed with The Hunger Games, with a dash of Divergent. Which, while reading this novel, it did remind me of each of these books... with so much more. I hadn't heard much about this novel from other blogger/vloggers, but that didn't stop me from reading it... THANK GOD! This book met sky-rocketed past my expectations, I loved it. It was a little slow at the beginning, but I believe it was written that way to establish Drew's (Annelise) background, as well as the way she acts, and reacts to things. Once she stepped onto the Isle of Night, the book took off. I could hardly put it down. I needed to know what was going to happen next, and I also wanted to know more about the mythology of this world. Almost everything I wanted to know, was answered in this book. It didn't answer everything so it could leave some things to be answered in Vampire's Kiss (The Watchers #2). The book didn't end on a cliff hanger, but it did end, immediately, after a very intense, and long, battle to the death. This book was very action-packed and I loved the plot, the setting, the characters, as well as the chemistry of the characters. Some aspects of Drew I didn't really like, but overall I thought she was a wonderful main character. Ronan was a very good character as well, I like how he took care of Drew, and his back story caught me by surprise. As you guys can tell, I loved everything about this book, and that is why I give this book 5/5 stars. It was phenomenal, and I hope all of you will check it out. The second book is already out, and the third book is set to release August 7th, which is very soon. I hope to get to the other books in this series very soon, and I will have more Book Reviews for you guys in the coming weeks. You can look forward to me reviewing: Infamous by Sherrilyn Kenyon, Wake, Fade, and Gone by Lisa McMann, and Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater, and I'm currently reading The Raven Boys, and I'm loving it, so hopefully I will finish it soon, and I'll be hosting a giveaway of my ARC of it when I finish it, and you can look forward to the review of it, which I'll post close to the release date, so probably September 9th. I hope you guys check this book out, and come back to the blog to check out some of the reviews and such to come.

1 comment:

  1. OMG, I also loved this book!!!!! I'm so glad that you liked it. :D I didn't hear much about this book either but when I was in the library I had to get it. I was going to buy it, but my bookstores do not have it. :( Can't wait for you to read the 2nd one and review it. I also can't wait to see what you have to say about the Wake series.

    ReplyDelete