Saturday, February 9, 2013

Wake Book Review

Hi Guys,
This week's book review is going to be on a book I finished in a couple hours over the summer, Wake by Lisa McMann. I don't know why I'm just now posting a review, I guess I just forgot to review it when I finished the series. This is the first book in the Dream Catcher trilogy, and here's the synopsis from Goodreads:

NOT ALL DREAMS ARE SWEET.
For seventeen-year-old Janie, getting sucked into other people's dreams is getting old. Especially the falling dreams, the naked-but-nobody-notices dreams, and the sex-crazed dreams. Janie's seen enough fantasy booty to last her a lifetime.She can't tell anybody about what she does -- they'd never believe her, or worse, they'd think she's a freak. So Janie lives on the fringe, cursed with an ability she doesn't want and can't control.Then she falls into a gruesome nightmare, one that chills her to the bone. For the first time, Janie is more than a witness to someone else's twisted psyche. She is a participant....

  
My first impression of this book was that it was original, and I love the ominous cover. Janie's ability is one unread about in books, yet everyone has thought about the possibility of going into other people's dreams. We all think it would be very amazing seeing what others dream about, but in this book it shows the negative side-effects of this ability. I read it very quickly, it's only 210 pages, and I found it easy to read with the way the book itself was structured. I longed to learn everything about Janie and her ability, and eventually about Cabel. The characters were amazing, you either loved them or hated them with a passion. When I was reading about Cabel's dream, I was a little scared, it definitely made me look over my shoulder a few times. Overall, though, this book was very depressing, I was expecting a fun, light hearted, story about  a girl who can visit other people's dreams, but this was not that type of book. This depressed me to the core, I was looking forward to it picking up and getting better, but it never did. I liked learning about the characters, and Janie's condition, but I didn't know how much longer I would be able to take the depression of this book. I give this book 3/5 stars, which is an "average" rating. I didn't hate this book by any means, I thought it was very good, but the depression of this book definitely made a four starred book become a three starred one. I would still check it out if you don't have a problem with the depressing storyline. The characters are really good, and so is the mystery around Janie's condition, but it lacked something that I was looking for. If you've read this novel, let me know what you thought of this book in the comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment