Saturday, February 16, 2013

Fade Book Review

 Hi Guys, 
This week's review will be of Fade by Lisa McMann, the second book in the Dream Catcher series. A story about a girl who can enter others' dreams, whether joyful, embarrassing, or nightmarish. Here's the synopsis from Goodreads:

SOME NIGHTMARES NEVER END.
For Janie and Cabel, real life is getting tougher than the dreams. They're just trying to carve out a little (secret) time together, but no such luck.
Disturbing things are happening at Fieldridge High, yet nobody's talking. When Janie taps into a classmate's violent nightmares, the case finally breaks open -- but nothing goes as planned. Not even close. Janie's in way over her head, and Cabe's shocking behavior has grave consequences for them both.
Worse yet, Janie learns the truth about herself and her ability -- and it's bleak. Seriously, brutally bleak. Not only is her fate as a dream catcher sealed, but what's to come is way darker than she'd feared....


My first impression of this book was that the cover for Fade was so much better than the cover for Wake. I don't know why, but there's something about the ominous objects on the covers of these books, it really draws my eye, and makes me want to read it more. Aside from the cover, the synopsis of this book was also better than the synopsis of Wake. The synopsis doesn't really cover exactly what really happens in the book, what they mention have very little significance in this novel, in my opinion. It took a little while to get into this book, it was just a tad bit boring in the beginning, but once Janie and Cabel decide to become Narcs, it starts to get really interesting. This novel takes two very serious situations that seem to be happening more and more in our world: drugs and alcohol with teens, and teacher-student affairs. Janie and Cabel work with the police to find out exactly what is happening in both scenarios, and they both get into very dangerous situations. I really loved the action and suspense of this book. You also got to learn more about Janie's condition, and more about her relationship with Cabel. It's very interesting, and I couldn't wait to read Gone, the third and final installment in this series. I give this book 4/5 stars, just because of the slow start. Besides that, it was a very interesting read. The story line was still a little depressing, but nowhere close to the depression I felt while reading Wake. It picks up a lot, and you guys should read it, it's pretty short. I think it has around 250 pages, but I can't really remember. You guys should really check out this series, if you didn't like Wake, keep reading the series, it picks up so much from Wake. CHECK IT OUT, NOW!

3 comments:

  1. Hi! I just found your blog and wanted to say I like your reviews :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank-you so much, I'm very glad that you enjoy my reviews, I try my best to give people the truth about a book I've read. I've been a little lazy for the past couple of weeks because of school-work and extracurricular activities, but I should be back to posting a review a week in no time. I hope you continue to read this blog, and if you have any book recommendations, or books you want me to review, just leave a comment, and I'll try to check it out. :D
      ~Brandon Scott (Young Adult Books)

      Delete
    2. Sounds great!

      I have already one. Have you heard of Touch of death by Kelly Hashway? I really loved it and I'd like to hear your thoughts of it.

      Delete